DVD 2007 94 Minutes English Region-Free (plays worldwide)
The Perfect Server offers a comprehensive look at what it takes to provide top-notch table service in a restaurant environment.
This DVD is highly recommended for training both new and experienced servers who need to learn either from the start or sharpen their current serving skills. (This video covers the server job and not other front-of-the-house jobs.)
Your waitstaff can make or break your restaurant. As you know, your waiters and waitresses are the most crucial link between your customers and your success. In today's competitive restaurant landscape, average or less-than-average waiters will wreak havoc with your ability to compete. On the other hand, a polite and well-educated staff will make each customer's meal an experience to remember.
Give your waitstaff the competitive advantage. By giving your servers the tools they need to succeed, you increase their earnings and your retention rate. The Perfect Server was created to add an element of uniformity, complementing and reinforcing hands-on training techniques such as shadowing, role-playing and training seminars. The more training you can provide, the better.
Create a Graceful Waitstaff: The Perfect Server DVD teaches and enforces graceful and unobtrusive up-selling techniques. It also emphasizes that great serving is achieved through the execution of simple things flawlessly, with elegance and style.
Perfect Server vs. Bad Server: The Perfect Server teaches by vividly showing the contrast between excellent and poor service. Viewers learn from the successes of "perfect server" Jane and laugh at the blunders of "bad server" John as they attempt to satisfy guests, up-sell graciously and increase their final tips. Follow the two servers through entire meals along with knowledgeable host who provides ongoing commentary.
|Learn from Jane's perfect example.||Learn from (and laugh at) John's blunders.|
Short training modules make it easy to find time for waitstaff training. We know it's difficult to find time to train new employees or to provide refreshers for seasoned veterans. That's why we created The Perfect Server so that it can be used in variety of ways- watch one training module and go back to work. Or, a server can take the DVD home and watch the entire program in one sitting. It's completely up to you.
Interactive quizzes reinforce mastery of the material. There are seven interactive training quizzes on The Perfect Server. Each quiz focuses on a different area of instruction. The Perfect Server is designed so that a staff member can watch the section on up-selling, for instance, take the accompanying quiz, and come back to the DVD at a later date. The Perfect Server does not have to be completed in one sitting.
Comprehensive Video Instruction Topics Include:
- Looking presentable
- Prepping the restaurant
- Approaching a new table
- Presenting the menu
- Serving the meal
- Closing the sale
Advanced and Bonus Material:
- Reading body language
- Tableside manners
- Selling Wine & Alcohol
- What to do if disaster strikes
- Up-selling techniques
- Sanitation & Food Safety
DVD Main Program and Bonus Sections
The 55-minute Main Program creates a foundation for success. By following Jane, the "perfect server", and John, the not-so-perfect server, through an entire meal, your staff will learn how to impress your guests through the simple art of graceful execution. Topics in the main program include:
- Create a positive first impression without resorting to cheesy banter or offensive one-liners.
- Learn practical time management skills to avoid embarrassing and costly gaffes.
- Avoid potentially embarrassing assumptions that can sour a customer forever.
- Learn how taking drink orders presents an excellent opportunity for unobtrusive up-selling.
- Present specials in a way that increases entreé and appetizer orders.
- Practical, time-tested, and guaranteed up-selling techniques that are not pushy, invasive, or obnoxious.
- Spot up-selling opportunities that most waiters miss.
- Learn how to properly time the placement of orders so that your diners aren't waiting for their meal.
- Learn how to avoid the dreaded "food auction".
- How to check on your table unobtrusively once they have their meal.
- Turn simple tasks such as dropping off the check into opportunities to garner bigger tips.
- And much, much more!
Our extensive Bonus Sections target key success areas and includes:
- Body language: This section shows that your own body language is just as important as correctly reading your guest's body language.
- Tableside manners: To be a great doctor, you must have great bedside manner. To be a great server, you must have great tableside manners. This section covers the art of elegant interaction with your guests.
- Selling wine and alcohol: We simply cover the basics here. Selling wine and alcohol is a complicated task and requires more training beyond the scope of this DVD. However, this will get your staff started and help them avoid common mistakes such as incorrectly opening and serving wine.
- What to do if disaster strikes: Mistakes happen! Learning how to deal with them can make a huge difference in the success of your business. Spilling a drink on a customer can seem like the worst possible scenario for your restaurant. If handled properly, however, it can create a positive lasting impression. The Perfect Server DVD teaches your waitstaff how to handle these situations with grace and style.
- Up-selling techniques: Up-selling, if employed poorly, can be annoying and a real turn-off for guests. That's why we stress graceful, unobtrusive and seamless upselling techniques.
- Food safety and sanitation: No waiter or waitress training program is complete without mention of food safety and sanitation. This section covers the basics.
Bonus Printable Material
Put The Perfect Server DVD into any computer's DVD-ROM drive to access a host of useful, printable documents. These printable extras ensure that even seasoned professionals will learn something new. Printable extras include:
- Wine pairings cheat sheet (to keep in their order slip folder)
- Common alcohol brands cheat sheet (to keep in their order slip folder)
- Kitchen prep terms (4 pages, over 80 terms covering 'Al dente' to 'Wok')
- Common server lingo (42 terms covering '86'd' to 'Turn and Burn')
More Training and Testing Features
- No software to install- all you need is a DVD player. The quizzes are taken using your DVD remote control.
- Verifiable training for your entire staff. Upon successful completion of quiz sections, your servers will receive their own unique completion codes that can be authenticated online to earn a printable certificate of mastery.
- Each copy of The Perfect Server DVD can be used to train as many servers as you like. There are no hidden fees or subscriptions for verification.
- Note: You will be emailed a unique DVD-ID code within 24 hours after your purchase. This code will be required in the verification process.