Save time and money by printing your own labels! The Zebra ZT400 Series Printers are industrial duty label printers for printing fast and economical runs of labels up to 6 inches wide at the rate of several thousand per day. Labels can include logos, basic graphics, text, bar codes and nutrition panels. Meant for all kinds of food products, the labels stand up to heat, moisture and cold.
ZT410 (4-inch wide) and ZT420 (6-inch wide) printers include additional productivity-enhancing features and modern, flexible network connectivity for easy system integration in most manufacturing, warehousing and business applications. These industrial/commercial workhorses also deliver efficient up to 6-inch-wide labeling thanks to their quick throughput and 14 inches-per-second print speed.
The ZT400 Series builds on the field-proven reliability of the
Z Series™ with advancements in print speed, print quality and
connectivity options. Designed for ease of use, the ZT400 Series
printers offer an intuitive icon-based LCD graphical user interface and easy supplies loading. And,they include standard USB,Serial, Ethernet and Bluetooth® capabilities. Expanded RFID
capacities deliver greater tracking abilities, deeper visibility and enterprise insights.
The ZT400 Series is offered in both 4” and 6” models and comes
standard with an extensive set of advanced features that ensure your printer investment will always meet your needs, now and in the future. Constructed using an all-metal frame and bi-fold door, this printer is designed to fit well in space-constrained
Featuring Zebra’s Link-OS® environment — an innovative
operating system combining a powerful Multiplatform Software
Development Kit (SDK) and software applications—ZT400
Series printers are easy to integrate,manage and maintain from any
location around the globe.
- Expand your printing readiness through an
exceptional range of media capabilities and media
- Customize your printer to match your current and
future business needs with end-user-installable
media handling options.
- Standard Serial, USB, Ethernet and Bluetooth
features—as well as two open media slots—allow
you to utilize non-standard connectivity options.
- Expanded RFID capabilities are easy to install and
simple to use.
- Ensure quality output for small-label applications
with high-resolution printing capabilities.
Effortless to Integrate
- USB host port enables simple printer configuration
by easily transferring data from a USB flash drive
via mirroring and expanded mapped-drive memory
- Virtual Devices apps enable Link-OS printers to
support well-known legacy and competitor printer
languages—in addition to ZPL® and EPL™—for a
Easy to Operate
- Dynamic QR codes provide on-demand, web-based
support to resolve printer errors quickly.
- Print Touch-enabled Link-OS printers offer web page
launching features using Near Field Communication
(NFC), making it easy to access Zebra’s extensive
knowledge base of how-to videos and product
- Lighted media and ribbon paths make it easy to see
inside the printer, even in poorly lit environments.
Simple to Manage
- Zebra’s Link-OS environment delivers enhanced
capabilities to monitor, manage and maintain your
printer from any location.
- Cloud Connect allows Link-OS printers to securely
and directly interact with the Cloud for printing and
- Profile Manager enables you to edit and manage one
printer, batches of printers or all Link-OS printers
across your network anywhere in the world.
- Provides more standard features per dollar with a wide format print
- Promotes easy upgrades to grow with your changing needs
- Price-Performance leadership delivering enhanced productivity
- Large LCD for quick printer configurations
- One-world, one-printer solution with 15 translated menu languages and Unicode-Compliant printing
- Many networking connectivity choices including USB, wireless, 802.11 b/g, Ethernet, serial, and parallel
- Rugged metal frame and case for demanding environments
Connecting via USB and other standard connections, it works with all current and recent Windos version. Use the included label design software or Photoshop®, Illustrator® or similar.
Printing your own labels with the Zebra printers rather than using a printing service, there are:
- No lead times
- No minimum order requirements
- No obsolete label inventory
- No plate and die charges
Wide Variety of Available Print Stock (Substrates)
More than one hundred standard label types are available in rectangular shapes, from about 2" x .5” to 6” x 8” or 4" x 13". Label print width can be as narrow as 2 inches and as wide as 6.6 inches. Custom sizes and shapes are also available. Length on continuous labels can be up to 102".
Water-resistant labels! The Zebra ZT400-series prints onto different thermal transfer or direct thermal materials, including high gloss and simi-gloss paper, polyester and polypropylene plastics. The plastic materials are especially resistant to scratches, moisture, heat and cold.
Comparing the ZT410 and ZT420
The ZT400 Series offers two models: the ZT410 and the ZT420.
Compare the features to see which printer best suits your needs.
|Max. Print Width:||4”||6"|
|Max Ribbon Length:||450 m||450 m|
|Max Print Speed:||14 ips||12 ips|
|Print Resolution||203, 300, 600 dpi||203 and 300 dpi|
Notes: Resolutions above 203 dpi are available options. Prices listed here are for 203 dpi printers only. "ips" = inches per second. "dpi" = dots per inch
General Thermal Label Printer Information
These are thermal transfer printers. Instead of ink, they use heat to print either by transfer or direct methods. The advantages of thermal transfer over inkjet technology is that the labels are more water-resistant or waterproof, more durable and less expensive. Thermal direct printers are the type most commonly used to produce black-and-white food labels. Short runs of food labels (a few hundred to a few thousand per day) are usually made with thermal transfer printers. A typical food label made this way has a total cost of about a cent.
Thermal transfer label printers come in two main sizes and duty levels. Smaller, "desktop" printers print up to four inches wide and are suitable for printing a few hundred labels a day. Larger "industrial" printers print up to eight inches wide, accept larger label rolls, and easily print a few thousand labels a day. (Note that labels can be printed on their sides so the printer width can be used as the height instead.)
Label printers are loaded with label rolls of a few hundred to a few thousand labels per roll, depending on the label size. Continuous rolls are also available so labels can be individually cut to length or made unusually long with the automatic cutter separating the labels. Automatic cutters are usually optional extras.
The thermal transfer method heats a ribbon which causes pigment (usually black) to transfer from the ribbon to mark the media (labels). Ribbons are available in a limited variety of colors so the printer can transfer the color of the ribbon, but usually do not mix colors to produce the full spectrum of colors as do inkjets. One ribbon is usually sufficient for one or two rolls of labels. Ribbons are available in various widths and should be at least as wide as the labels being printed.
The widest variety of substrates (labels) are available for use with thermal transfer because the substrates do not need the special coating required for thermal direct printing and thermal ribbons can mark a wide variety of materials. Most dry food labels are printed on high gloss paper because it is scratch-resistant and looks good. Semi-gloss paper is less expensive but does not look as nice as high gloss, but it is more readable when glare is a problem. Plastic substrates are the most durable of all and are best to use for cold, moisture and heat.
The thermal direct method heats specially coated media directly so the media itself is marked by the heat without the use of a ribbon. Thermal direct printing is the least expensive technology because no ribbon is required. Its disadvantage is that thermal direct media remains heat-sensitive, so labels quickly turn dark if exposed to heat or prolonged sunlight and become gray in normal conditions in a few weeks. The variety of sizes of substrates (labels) is more limited because of the special coating they require to work. Thermal direct labels are the best to use with dry, cool food products which will never be on the shelf more than a few days.
Software: Most label printers include basic control software for composing complete food labels with product names, logos, bar codes and nutrition data (such as nutraCoster provides). The included software can usually be upgraded for a fee to more robust versions that can perform advanced functions such as individualizing labels (with lot numbers, weights, etc.) by interfacing with databases.
- Print Methods: Thermal transfer and direct
- Construction: Metal frame and bi-fold metal
media cover with enlarged clear viewing window
- Side-loading supplies path for simplified media
and ribbon loading
- Element Energy Equalizer™ (E3™) for superior
- Communications: USB 2.0, high-speed, RS-232
Serial, 10/100 Ethernet, Bluetooth 2.1, USB Host
- Back-lit, multiline graphic LCD display with
intuitive menu and easy-to-use keypad for quick
- Bi-colored status LEDs for quick printer status
- ENERGY STAR® qualified
- 203 dpi/8 dots per mm
- 300 dpi/12 dots per mm (optional)
- 600 dpi/24 dots per mm (optional for ZT410 only)
- 256 MB SDRAM memory
- 512 MB on-board linear Flash memory
Maximum Print Width
- 4.09"/104 mm (ZT410)
- 6.6"/168 mm (ZT420)
Maximum Print Speed
- 14 ips/356 mm per second (ZT410)
- 12 ips/305 mm per second (ZT420)
- Dual media sensors: transmissive and reflective
Media web width (label and liner):
–– 1.00"/25.4 mm to 4.5"/114 mm tear/cutter
–– 1.00"/25.4 mm to 4.25"/108 mm peel/rewind
–– 2.00"/51 mm to 7.0"/178 mm tear/cutter
–– 2.00”/51 mm to 6.75”/171 mm peel/rewind
Maximum non-continuous label length: 39"/991 mm
–– 203 dpi: 157”/3988 mm
–– 300 dpi: 73”/1854 mm
–– 600 dpi: 39”/991 mm
–– 203 dpi: 102”/2591 mm
–– 300 dpi: 45”/1143 mm
Maximum Media Roll Size
- 8.0"/203 mm O.D. on a 3"/76 mm I.D. core
- 0.0023"/0.058 mm to 0.010"/0.25 mm
- Continuous, die-cut, notch, black-mark
Ribbon Characteristics (Thermal-transfer option only)
- Outside Diameter: 450 m: 3.2”/81.3 mm O.D. on a 1.0"/25.4 mm I.D. core
- Standard Length: 1476’/450 m
--ZT410 - 2.00"/51 mm to 4.33"/110 mm
--ZT420 - 2.00"/51 mm to 6.85"/174 mm
Ribbon Setup: Ribbon wound ink-side out; ribbon wound ink-side
in can be used with the optional ribbon spindle
- Operating Environment:
–– Thermal transfer: 40º to 104ºF/5º to 40ºC
–– Thermal direct: 32º to 104ºF/0º to 40ºC
–– 20% to 85% non-condensing R.H.
- Storage/Transportation Environment:
–– -40º to 140ºF/-40º to 60ºC
–– 5% to 85% non-condensing R.H.
- Auto-detectable (PFC Compliant) 100-240VAC,50-60Hz, rated at 100 Watts
- ENERGY STAR qualified
- IEC 60950, EN 55022 Class B, EN 55024, EN 61000-3-2, EN 61000-3-3
- cTUVus, CE Marking, FCC-B, ICES-003, VCCI, C-Tick, NOM, S-Mark (Arg), CCC, CU, BSMI, KCC, SABS, IN-Metro
|ZT410 closed||ZT420 closed|
|Width:||10.6”/269 mm||13.25”/336.55 mm|
|Height:||12.75”/324 mm||12.75”/324 mm|
|Depth:||19.50”/495 mm||19.50”/495 mm|
|Weight:||36 lb./16.33 Kg||40 lb./18.14 Kg|
Options and Accessories
- Parallel (Bi-directional interface)
- Wireless: ZebraNet® Printer Server – supports 802.11 a/b/g/n networks via an internally integrated option that enables the use of Webview and Alert features
- Rewind: Internally rewinds a full roll of printed
labels on 3” core, or peels and rewinds liner
(Factory installed only)
- Peel: Front-mount, passive peel option
- Peel: Liner take-up option – additional full-roll
liner take-up spindle accommodates standard
- Cutter: Front-mount guillotine cutter and
- 1" I.D. Core media supply hanger
- Ink-side in ribbon supply spindle
- Supports tags compatible with UHF EPC Gen 2 V1.2/ISO 18000-6C
- Integrated RFID system is user-upgradable in the field and available on both 4” and 6” models
- Adaptive Encoding Technology automatically selects optimum encode settings
Keyboard Display Unit
- Supports KDU Plus™ and ZKDU: Enter variable data and retrieve stored forms for standalone applications
- Document Design: Quickly design a customized
print solution using your business data and Zebra's intuitive, plug-and-print design tools.
- Device Integration: Zebra offers apps and
products designed to help you integrate Zebra
devices into your existing systems.
- Device Management: Manage your print operations locally and globally with Zebra's suite of device management tools.
- Developer Tools: Provides you the tools you need to create your own apps, including documentation, source code, programming
languages, templates and more.
- Resident ZPL, ZPL II® and EPL= programming languages, selectable through software or front panel.
- XML-enabled Printing — allows XML communications for barcode label printing.
- Linear Barcodes: Code 11, Code 39, Code 93, Code 128 with subsets A/B/C and UCC Case Codes, ISBT-128, UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-8, EAN-13, UPC and EAN 2- or 5-digit extensions, Plessey,
Postnet, Standard 2-of-5, Industrial 2-of-5,Interleaved 2-of-5, Logmars, MSI, Codabar, Planet Code
- 2-Dimensional Barcodes: Codablock, PDF417, Code 49, DataMatrix, MaxiCode, QR Code, TLC 39, MicroPDF, RSS-14 (and composite), Aztec
MFonts and Graphics
- 16 resident expandable ZPL II bitmap and two
resident scalable ZPL fonts
- Asian and other international scalable and smooth bitmapped fonts
- Unicode: For multi-language printing
- Downloadable objects include graphics, scalable and bitmap fonts, label templates and formats
- IBM Code Page 850 international character sets are available in the fonts A, B, C, D, E, F, G and 0 through software control
- Code Page 1250, 1252, 1253, 1254, 1255 Support with font 0
- 64 MB user available non-volatile memory storage for downloadable objects
- 4 MB user-available SDRAM
Warranty: One Year Parts and Labor
Free factory phone support
Returnable within 20 days of delivery. Refunds are less shipping, 15% restocking fee and charge card merchant fees (if applied).
FoodSoftware carries monochrome thermal and color inkjet food label printers, rewinders, applicators and dispensers: