Developed by the world-renowned Culinary Institute of America (CIA), this CD "library" shows you some great ways to best manage your staff and your bottom line.
The CD contains PDF files (for Adobe Acrobat) which you can either read directly on your computer screen or print on paper as desired.
Documents in this CD cover important issues that affect the restaurant both in front of the customers and behind the scenes, and help you focus on the interaction between your service staff and customers that is crucial to the success of your establishment. Take pointers on how to heighten executive awareness, teach quality service, establish and maintain cost-controls and create service standards for improved customer satisfaction. Included on this CD:
- The Challenging Guest
- Front-of-the House Sanitation
- Kitchen Calculations
- Improve you Bottom Line with Upselling
- Wine Services
The Challenging Guest
Each customer is different, and the issues they bring into the restaurant environment can lead to a vast array of difficult situations. Topics in this document include:
- Idle Hands - special issues when serving children
- On the Rocks - dealing with inebriated guests
- You Ought to be in Pictures - helpful hints when the famous and infamous dine in your establishment
- This is not Noah's Ark - tips for dealing with pets
When most foodservice professionals think of sanitation and food safety, they tend to think of the back-of-the-house. But the front-of-the-house staff also has opportunities to do microbial harm. This segment will help you and your staff anticipate - and overcome - some of the more common challenges. The contents of this document are:
- How to avoid seemingly harmless work methods
- Food safety
- Hygiene of the server
Each segment of Kitchen Calculations was designed to help you and your staff overcome some of the more common kitchen math challenges that directly affect your bottom-line. The segments in this document are:
- Yield Percentage: Explore the various components of a yield test and learn how to identify the factors that might affect yield percentage.
- Cost Calculations: Discover one of the most important elements in budgeting and predicting your finances.
- Edible Portion Cost: Learn how cost affects purchasing and your recipe.
Improve Your Bottom Line Through Upselling
The ability to encourage additional sales is one of the most valuable skills foodservice professionals can master. You can never learn enough about sales techniques; success depends not only on what you do, but also on when and how you do it. Each segment is designed to help you and your staff identify the opportunities that are available in your foodservice operation each day. Included in this document:
- The Dos & Don'ts of Upselling
- Daily Pre-Service Meeting Pointers
- Selling for Money vs. Selling for Pleasure
- Troubleshooting Guidelines: For those real-world service situations that are never exactly like the training examples.
Not every restaurant has a sommelier or beverage manager in charge of wine to lead customers through the selection process, so servers need to know something about wines.
Utilize the Wine Service segment as a pre-service training program for both new and existing servers. This segment provides:
- Tasting chart
- Wine vocabulary lesson
- Quick-review on the steps of opening & pouring
- Guide on wine temperatures
- Wine-service guideline